Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Note on Photos

No, I'm not posting a tutorial on how to take photos. I don't consider myself too skilled in that department. I just wanted to post a quick reality check for those of you who might be hesitant to post pictures of your work.

You think that your work is somehow less worthy of taking up a microscopic percentage of the infinite amount of space on the internet. Maybe you think that yours isn't as good as everything you've seen. It could be that you're afraid of criticism.

Whatever it might be that's holding you back, try to get over it. I've seen plenty of beautiful photos on the internet. Pictures of families, homes, and even nature that for some reason just look so much better on that little screen than they do in real life.

There's a reason. It's called photo editing software( and apps). None of us can live up to that standard. None of my photos are touched up or altered. They are cropped to the correct(and sometimes incorrect) size, then posted.

I use my iPhone camera. Go figure, it's not as good as I thought it was going to be. Maybe it's because I was looking at other people's edited pictures when making the decision to buy the thing. Anyway, here's an example of what can happen to a photo in less than 10 seconds with nothing more than an old iPhone straight out of its box.


The photo on the left has not been edited. Hey, I never claimed to be a photographer. It's an accurate enough portrayal of the card.I'd rather spend my time making something else. Why spend more than a few minutes getting a picture of it?

For the photo on the right I selected the Chrome filter on the iPhone's built in photo editor. It really stands out now! Unfortunately, making our pictures stand out because they're brighter isn't why we share our work. We don't share so that others see something that could never possibly be recreated with the supplies that we sell. This literally took all of one second to do.

For those of you who are still holding back, maybe you can remember this next time you see something on Pinterest that makes you hang your head in shame and want to give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment