Monday, June 23, 2014

Salt Shaker Vase

I've decided to blog some of my previously unblogged creations during my downtime. This was one of my first original ideas for something other than a card. 

For some reason I chose to add the Spiral Flower Bigz die to one of my orders. From time to time I like to chose an item that I have no interest in to add an to a large order. Usually I do this using my Hostess benefits so I can justify it as "free" to myself.

I did this long before becoming a demonstrator. Long ago in the world of business I learned that inventory was not just about what I liked. I carried that lesson with me and applied it to all areas of my life. Whether it be books, groceries, clothing, or crafts. You can't expand much if you don't try new things. Some of my favorite outfits, meals, and craft supplies were actually acquired this way.

Ok, so the concept of the vase itself is quite simple. It was an inexpensive salt and pepper shaker set. Not from the dollar store, but under $5 for the set. I like it. It has just enough style, yet is still plain enough to be embellished. 

The flowers were made using the spiral flower die. I used hot glue to set them after rolling tightly around the handle of my paper piercing tool. Prior to rolling them I pierced a hole in the center of the base piece of the flower. After allowing the glue to cool I threaded floral wire through the hole, into a button, then back down through the other button hole, then back down through the hole in the flower. 

I stamped the image from the By the Tide set and hand cut the image. Yep, someone is still regretting all of that "saving" they did by not buying all of the circle punch sizes. I tied Crushed Curry Chevron ribbon around the shaker itself, then used linen thread to tie the stamped image to that. The floral wire was cut to the appropriate length, then placed into the shaker through the holes in the lid. 

This one was made with Mom in mind. She loves her beach theme. She also has about 400 shades of turquoise in her bathroom alone. I know it sounds awful, but somehow she pulls it off. Only Mom could do such a thing. 

This is a really easy project. It can be done it surprisingly little time. I would suggest stocking up on glue sticks, shakers, and floral wire. It's a tad bit addicting. I'm planning on doing an upgraded version for craft fairs. Mom gets all of my first runs, but she's more than ok with that. Happy crafting!


All supplies are from Stampin' Up!

Stamps: By the Tide
Ink: Coastal Cabana
Paper: Daffodil Delight, Bermuda Bay, Coastal Cabana, Very Vanilla
Accessories: Crushed Curry Chevron Ribbon, Linen Thread, hole punch, salt shaker, Spiral Flower Bigz Die, Big Shot, Floral Wire, Brights Collection Buttons, Regals Collection Buttons, hot glue gun

No comments:

Post a Comment